Philip Seymour Hoffman's death will not delay The Hunger Games release dates
The actor had almost completed work on the blockbuster franchise
The 46-year old actor had completed filming for the next instalment, Mockingjay: Part 1, and had 'only seven days remaining to shoot' on Part 2, according to industry insider The Hollywood Reporter.
Hoffman's minor character takes a more prominent part in the final two episodes as Heavensbee becomes a commander of District 13's rebel forces.
The films’ scheduled November 2014 and 2015 release dates are believed to be unaffected by Hoffman’s death, but some rewriting will be required.
Philip Seymour Hoffman: A magnificent and versatile screen actor whether in the lead or as a memorable cameo
An official statement from director Francis Lawrence, author Suzanne Collins, lead star Jennifer Lawrence and producers Nina Jacobson and Jon Kilik said: “Words cannot convey the devastating loss we are all feeling right now. Philip was a wonderful person and an exceptional talent, and our hearts are breaking. Our deepest thoughts and condolences go out to his family.”
Hoffman’s co-stars past and present have been sending their condolences. "This is a horrible day for those who worked with Philip. He was a giant talent. Out hearts are open for his family," said Tom Hanks, who starred alongside him in Charlie Wilson's War.
Other celebrities took to Twitter to post message of sadness at the news.
Oh no, I’ve just heard the news of the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman. What a blow to the industry & most of all of course to his family…— Stephen Fry (@stephenfry) February 2, 2014
Such shocking & sad news. RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman. One of the greatest actors of a generation and a sweet, funny & humble man.— Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) February 2, 2014
OH NO!!!!! Philip Seymour Hoffman has died. A truly kind, wonderful man and one of our greatest actors - ever— mia farrow (@MiaFarrow) February 2, 2014
Lionsgate Films, the production company behind The Hunger Games, released a statement paying tribute to a “singular talent and one of the most gifted actors of our generation”. “We’re very fortunate that he graced our Hunger Games family,” it read.
Unfortunately, The Hunger Games is not the only project facing an uncertain future following Hoffman's untimely death.
The actor, who won an Academy Award for his role as writer Truman Capote in 2005's Capote, had been cast in the lead for a new Showtime comedy series called Happyish.
Hoffman had also finished work on another two films, God's Pocket and A Most Wanted Man, both of which will be released posthumously.
Philip Seymour Hoffman: The last months of the actor's life paint a private struggle to cope with the breakdown of his personal life
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Game of Thrones, season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
Game of Thrones really doesn't want Danny Dyer - EastEnders star rejected three times
Martin Scorsese 'in shock' after death on set of new film Silence
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
King Abdullah dead: We can't afford not to hold Saudi Arabia's royals to account