Pirates and presidents next on red carpet
The week ahead
Saturday 14 May 2011
Pirates of the Caribbean fever hits the Croisette with the franchise's fourth instalment. Cutouts of its stars have marched on streets with Johnny Depp proving most popular.
The premiere of The Tree of Life, the fifth feature from US director Terrence Malick, will provide that coveted shot of the film's star, Brad Pitt, walking down the red carpet with Angelina Jolie, here to promote Kung Fu Panda 2.
Mel Gibson drops in to promote The Beaver, directed by Jodi Foster, which is in dire need of Cannes' promotional power after flopping in the US.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy is portrayed in a scathing filmic portrait of his rise to power, La Conquete, directed by Xavier Durringer. Early indications are that it's a corker.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss