Pirates and presidents next on red carpet
The week ahead
Saturday 14 May 2011
Pirates of the Caribbean fever hits the Croisette with the franchise's fourth instalment. Cutouts of its stars have marched on streets with Johnny Depp proving most popular.
The premiere of The Tree of Life, the fifth feature from US director Terrence Malick, will provide that coveted shot of the film's star, Brad Pitt, walking down the red carpet with Angelina Jolie, here to promote Kung Fu Panda 2.
Mel Gibson drops in to promote The Beaver, directed by Jodi Foster, which is in dire need of Cannes' promotional power after flopping in the US.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy is portrayed in a scathing filmic portrait of his rise to power, La Conquete, directed by Xavier Durringer. Early indications are that it's a corker.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special trailer released
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
Metallica play Antarctica: What other bizarre gigs have musicians played?
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >