Psy of disappointment? 'Gangnam Style' imposter caught living the high life at Cannes film festival
Friday 24 May 2013
A man pretending to be South Korean rapper Psy talked his way into glitzy parties at the Cannes film festival and posed with fans until he was spotted drinking champagne by the real Psy's manager.
Psy, in Singapore last night to perform at the inaugural Social Star awards, said that Scooter Braun spotted the imposter, took a photo and sent it to the musician.
"He sent it to me, and I tweeted that, like, five, six hours ago, so everybody in France, they know," Psy told press at the Singapore ceremony. "Real Psy is here."
During his run as Psy, the imposter posed for photos with fans and other stars including actress Naomie Harris, from the James Bond movie Skyfall, who posted the picture on Twitter.
"It looks as if we've been fooled, that wasn't the real @psy—oppa! Could anyone else tell from the picture? Or am I just going crazy!? Haha!" Harris tweeted.
Psy became a global sensation last year when the video for his song "Gangnam Style", featuring a horse-riding dance, went viral. It became the first video to receive more than a billion hits on video website YouTube.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world