Paul Walker: Fast & Furious 7 to go ahead despite death of star
The new film's release will be delayed until after July 2014
Tim Walker is The Independent’s Los Angeles correspondent, covering entertainment and other concerns from the West Coast of the US. He was previously a features writer and the editor of the paper’s diary column. His first novel, Completion, is being published in January 2014.
Monday 02 December 2013
The seventh instalment of the big-budget Fast and Furious film franchise is to continue production, despite the death of its star Paul Walker in a car accident this weekend.
The 40-year-old actor was killed on Saturday afternoon when the Porsche he was riding in struck a lamppost and burst into flames in Santa Clarita, near Los Angeles.
The new film, which was due to be released in July 2014, will be subject to a delay. According to The Hollywood Reporter, its director James Wan and executives from Universal Studios held a meeting by phone on Sunday to determine what needed to be done to complete the film yet also remain respectful to Walker's memory.
The actor had been on a break from filming in Atlanta during the Thanksgiving holiday, but he and his fellow cast members - among them Vin Diesel, Jason Statham and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson - were planning to return to the set yesterday. Shooting is now expected to recommence later this week at the earliest. Though much of the film was already complete, production was scheduled to shift to Abu Dhabi in January.
Walker played undercover agent Brian O'Conner in all but one of the six Fast and Furious movies, which have collectively grossed around $2.4bn (£1.5bn) worldwide. The promotion of the next movie in the series is likely to prove problematic, given the films' focus on spectacular car stunts.
Walker was a passenger in the Porsche Carrera GT owned and driven by his friend and business partner Roger Rodas, who was also killed in the collision. Tyrese Gibson, who stars in the Fast and Furious series alongside Walker, was visibly emotional when he visited the crash site on Sunday to pay tribute to his friend.
Universal Pictures released a statement following the news of Walker's death, saying, "Paul was truly one of the most beloved and respected members of our studio family for 14 years, and this loss is devastating to us, to everyone involved with the Fast and Furious films, and to countless fans."
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
- 2 Ridley Scott on Exodus, Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' close to camp
This house and dental clinic 'piled up like bricks on the brink of collapsing' is why Japan wins at architecture
Ridley Scott on Exodus, Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking Lana Del Rey rape video
There's a Good Girl exhibition: How female creatives are changing the way women are portrayed in advertising
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict