Skyfall writers leaving on a high - and other literary rivalries
Alice Jones' Arts Diary
a 007 starter for 10. Who wrote Skyfall?
And, for that matter, the last four Bonds before that? It was Neal Purvis and Robert Wade. The pair were hired by Barbara Broccoli 15 years ago when they had just two screenplays to their name – Let Him Have It and Plunkett and Macleane. No, me neither. Since then they have written five 007 scripts, starting with The World is Not Enough, and two Johnny English spy spoofs, too.
Speaking at Doha Tribeca Film Festival, they confirmed that they were leaving the franchise “on a high” with Skyfall but also hinted that Sam Mendes might stay on for a second outing. “I know that John Logan and Sam Mendes have come up with a plot for another one”, said Wade. “Which takes the pressure off because these films take up a lot of time.”
P-p-p-p-pick up a PEN
They are soon to merge into the biggest publishing house in the world but for now Random House and Penguin remain arch rivals. Which, though, brought more brains to the table at the PEN literary quiz this week? Penguin, by some way.
While Random House came second to bottom with 43 points, Penguin came 8th with 60. Which may go some way to making up for the poor sales figures of their latest star signing, Pippa Middleton.
Also in the Arts Diary
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
X Factor 2013: Luke Friend wins place in final as Rough Copy sent home
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >