Stallone skips 'Expendables 2' promotions following son's death
Wednesday 08 August 2012
The cast of "The Expendables 2" say they're giving co-star and writer Sylvester Stallone space after the death of his son last month.
Stallone's 36-year-old son Sage died on 13 July in his Los Angeles home — a day after Stallone was joined by Arnold Schwarzenegger and other "Expendables" stars at Comic-Con in San Diego.
"Something like that is so severe. You can't really do anything. I sent him a handwritten note. I contributed to a charity for his kid," said Dolph Lundgren, one of a number of aging action stars featured in the film, which opens 17 August.
"He knows we're thinking about him," Lundgren said at a recent media event for the film. "He knows us. He knows our prayers go out to him. But what are you going to do? I have two kids. And all you can do is hug your kids and go thank God it didn't happen to you."
Stallone has not made any public appearances since the death. His publicist said in a statement that the star was "devastated and grief-stricken." No cause of death has been announced.
Sage Moonblood Stallone was the oldest of Sylvester Stallone's children and co-starred with his father in two films: 1990's "Rocky V" and 1996's "Daylight."
Mixed-martial-arts veteran turned actor Randy Couture said the cast was missing Stallone during promotion of the film, which includes a European trip and next week's Los Angeles premiere.
"He is the leader of this group, both on-screen and off-screen. And so we miss him here," Couture said. "But we understand. We're parents. We have kids. We can't really imagine what he's going through now. But what do you say? ... So we're giving him space."
Co-star Terry Crews, a former NFL player turned actor, said the cast would handle publicity for the film to allow Stallone time to grieve.
"The best thing that we can do right now is hold it down here for him. This is his baby," Crews said. "This is one thing that he came up with that he's changed the world yet again. And I'm proud to be here and repping for him. Whatever he needs, we got him."
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Arts & Ents blogs
The best movies on Netflix: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones season 4 episode 2 breaks torrent record as fans watch online
Ricky Gervais: 'People are waiting for me to fail. If you think it's awful, then just don't watch it'
Mrs Doubtfire 2: Robin Williams set to star in sequel to 1993 comedy
Game of Thrones: Jack Gleeson is as delighted by [spoiler] as you are
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
- 5 Mrs Doubtfire 2: Robin Williams set to star in sequel to 1993 comedy