Star Wars 7 cast: Which characters will Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver et al play?
Who is Jedi and who is Sith?
The Star Wars Episode 7 cast has been announced with Oscar Isaac, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver and more on board; now begins the task of deducing exactly what will happen in the film to the point where there won't be a need to actually go and see it. Go internet!
Here's our theories:
1. John Boyega
Boyega was listed first in StarWars.com's non-alphabetical cast list, which could mean nothing or could mean he will play the biggest role.
The Attack The Block actor is not a nobody but not a household name either (let's be honest we all had to do some IMDBing), but neither was Mark Hamill when he first joined the franchise. (Picture: Getty)
It's very possible he will play an up-and-coming Jedi of some sort, and if Billy Dee Williams gets his wish he will be the son of Lando Calrissian (which you could imagine the Disney marketing department getting on board with given the popularity of the Cloud City administrator).
2. Daisy Ridley (Picture: IMDB)
Seen talking to Carrie Fisher in the script read photo (and sandwiched between her and Ford), Ridley could well play Leia and Han's daughter.
The Jedi Council has been largely a sausage fest up to this point so it would be nice to see her given a more active, Jedi role than her feisty but vulnerable on-screen mum.
She was previously playing bit parts in Casualty, but is now on a fast-track to super stardom.
3. Adam Driver (Picture: Getty)
Driver is strongly rumoured to be playing the film's chief villain, and he certainly has the look of the Sith about him.
Another possibility is that he could be the Solos' son Jacen, whose desire to protect the galaxy at any cost saw him fall to the Dark Side and become Darth Caedus in the comics, though Lucasfilm has said the movie won't follows the Expanded Universe, so maybe just ignore me.
Here's hoping he plays a really neurotic Sith lord distracted by a new play he's working on like his Girls character.
4. Oscar Isaac (Picture: StudioCanal)
Probably the most difficult casting to pin down. Hot off the heels of his Coen brothers' movie Inside Llewyn Davis, Isaac is a rising star just as Ford was when he joined Star Wars and could similarly play the new film's deuteragonist.
His doe eyes suggest a hero, but he has a sort of Joaquin Phoenix capacity for portraying cruelness, I'm convinced of it…
5. Andy Serkis Andy Serkis as Gollum
Hollywood's go-to motion capture guy could literally be playing anyone/everyone.
Exactly what weird, slightly anthropomorphised alien he will lend his limbs to is anyone's guess, and the character may still be being mocked up on a Mac somewhere.
The fact that it looks like there will be a reasonably major CGI character is a little disappointing, let's just hope it isn't another Jar Jar.
6. Domhnall Gleeson Gleeson played Bill Weasley in the Harry Potter films and recently starred with Rachel McAdams in About Time. He has been confirmed for Star Wars 7.
Hopping from one big money franchise to another, the Harry Potter films' Bill Weasley might operate outside of the film's previously confirmed 'trio of young leads'.
His gingery beardyness is not unlike that of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but that dude's been dead for years! A good of some sort though, I'd imagine.
Max von Sydow He's not a spring chicken but Von Sydow is a new arrival to Star Wars. Rumours suggest he might play a sinister old Jedi but that remains to be seen.
The Exorcist actor was born to play a Count Dooku/Emporar Palpatine type Sith lord.
He will no doubt serve as the more dialogue-heavy foil to the inevitable back-flipping Darth Maul-style villain.
7. Harrison Ford
Middle-aged Han Solo, possibly dispensing sage advice to his young Jedi son/daughter, or being a curmudgeonly, old-fashioned dad warning them to stay out of trouble.
8. Carrie Fisher Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia, has confirmed she will reprise the role in upcoming Star Wars films.
Middle-aged Princess Leia, probably playing good cop bad cop with her husband.
9. Mark Hamill Mark Hamill will be back as Luke Skywalker along with his fellow original cast members Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford.
Now a long in the tooth Jedi, it feels like Luke Skywalker might following in Yoda's Force consultancy footsteps and take on a Padawan.
10. Anthony Daniels Anthony Daniels has starred as C-3PO in past Star Wars films and will be back for JJ Abram's seventh
C-3PO. Bringing the gags.
11. Peter Mayhew Peter Mayhew will reprise his role as Chewbacca with many fans excited at the theoretical prospect of a wizened old Chewie retired from space flight
Old Chewbacca. I like to imagine him having quit space flight, let his fur grow out and attained a terrible drinking problem.
Kenny Baker Baker played R2-D2 in the Star Wars franchise and will be back reprising his role for the 7th movie.
R2-D2, servicing X-Wings as only he knows how.
Also pictured above:
12. Bryan Burk - producer
13. Kathleen Kennedy - producer
14. JJ Abrams - director
15. Lawrence Kasdan - screenwriter
Over to the forums...
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
Better Call Saul creator Peter Gould on the creative concerns of a prequel, season 2 and the mind-numbing realities of the small courts
Game of Thrones season 5: Emilia Clarke praises characters who 'accept their femininity'
Britain's Got Talent 2015: RSPCA investigating Marc Metral's miming dog after cruelty complaints
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Glastonbury 2015 tickets: How to make sure you’re successful in Sunday's re-sale
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate