Star Wars theme voted UK's favourite film soundtrack
John Williams' score took almost a quarter of all votes
John Williams’ Star Wars theme has been named the nation’s favourite film soundtrack by BBC Radio 3 listeners.
The Star Wars theme took almost a quarter of the votes, beating the musical accompaniment to films such as Grease, West Side Story and The Sound of Music.
Ennio Morricone’s score for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly came second, with Leonard Bernstein’s soundtrack to West Side Story named third.
Viewers and listeners from across the BBC's services chose the original Star Wars movie soundtrack, Episode IV: A New Hope.
Williams won an Oscar for his work on the film, which also included the well-known jazz-style “Cantina Band” scene.
He announced he will return to compose the score to the forthcoming Star Wars: Episode VII film, which is due for release in 2015.
Excerpts from the top 20 film scores will be played live in a countdown on Radio 3 later at 2pm today in a programme presented by Robert Zeigler from the London's famous Air Studios.
The station will also feature Williams talking about his writing next week in Composer Of The Week each weekday at noon and 6.30pm.
The shortlist of soundtracks was put together by broadcasters and movie music experts.
Top ten film themes as voted for by BBC Radio 3 listeners:
1. Star Wars (Williams)
2. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Morricone)
3. West Side Story (Bernstein)
4. Lawrence of Arabia (Jarre)
5. Vertigo (Herrmann)
6. The Third Man (Karas)
7. Dark Knight Rises (Zimmer)
8. Grease (various)
9. The Sound of Music (Rogers & Hammerstein)
10. Apocalypse Now (Wagner)
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head