The Avengers film takes $1 billion worldwide in first 19 days
The Avengers movie has topped the American box office for the second week in a row, taking $1 billion in its first 19 days.
The film, which stars Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth and Scarlett Johansson, and was written and directed by Joss Whedon, is set to break into the all-time box office top ten, with industry insiders predicting it will eventually knock Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows from third spot.
Known as Avengers Assemble in the UK to avoid confusion with the television series of the same name, the Disney-produced film is already the highest-grossing superhero movie of all time, surpassing The Dark Knight and all three Spiderman films.
It also broke the second week revenue record, taking $103.2 million - $25 million more than the current highest grossing film of all time, Avatar.
Dave Hollis, head of distribution for Disney, said: “You never think that it can happen this quickly…You hope you can get to this day, and the fact that it is happening this early is a testament to a lot of work that went in on the Marvel side over the last six years to get us to a place where people wanted to see the Avengers assemble.“
The Avengers easily beat Johnny Depp and Tim Burton’s vampire film Dark Shadows, which took $28.8 million this week to hit second place.
Dark Shadows fell way below previous Depp/Burton collaborations such as Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Top 20 highest grossing films of all time
1. Avatar - $2,782,275,17
2. Titanic - $2,183,394,188
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - $1,328,111,219
4. Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $1,123,746,996
5. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - $1,119,929,521
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - $1,066,179,725
7. Toy Story 3 - $1,063,171,911
8. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - $1,043,871,802
9. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - $1,026,284,487
10. Alice in Wonderland - $1,024,299,904
11. The Avengers - $1,002,082,000
12. The Dark Knight - $1,001,921,825
13. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - $974,755,371
14. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - $963,420,425
15. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - $956,399,711
16. The Lion King - $951,583,777
17. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - $939,885,929
18. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - $934,416,487
19. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers -$926,047,111
20. Shrek 2 - $919,838,758
Film The critics but sneer but these unfashionable festive films are our favourites
TV We're so close to knowing what happened to Oliver Hughes, but a last-minute bluff crushes expectations
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Peter Lik: The self-proclaimed 'fine-art photographer' whose work sells for millions
The best underrated Christmas movies from Love, Actually to While You Were Sleeping
Grace Dent on TV: The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies was a beautifully shot, immensely considered drama
The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies, review: Jason Watkins is brilliant, but real victim Joanna Yeates is reduced to a footnote
Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking Lana Del Rey rape video
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant