The view from the bottom of the ladder
Hollywood appears to be continuing its recent phase of twin timing, as details of two new comedies about interns have been announced this week. Paramount's The Intern will star Tina Fey as the head of an online fashion company who appoints a senior citizen as an intern, while The Internship from Fox sees Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson share the screen as two businessmen forced into the world of unpaid work after becoming unemployed.
Having completed my fair share of internships I find it somewhat surprising that nobody has called on me to consult for either project, but in the spirit of giving freely for no immediate financial reward I'll happily share some pointers with the scriptwriters:
* The word "no" should be stricken from the script – with obsequious synonyms for "yes" flowing instead.
* Tears should flow too (but only in the privacy of a loo cubicle) when spoken to like a simpleton for the millionth time.
* Names are only for valued employees, and being addressed by superiors as you, she, he etc will suffice.
* The make-up team should add dark circles and a look of general exhaustion as interns work a second job to keep themselves going.
* Alternatively a vocal coach may be called upon to provide a plummy accent for those acting the part of being bankrolled by wealthy parents.
* Offering to make tea when you have nothing to do can later be cited as "proactive and efficient at time management".
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
FestivalsFive ways to avoid the portable toilets
Jurassic WorldThe results are completely brilliant
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 2 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 3 Alton Towers Air breaks down: 80 people stuck on broken down Monorail during heatwave
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Alwaleed bin Talal: Saudi Prince to donate entire $32bn fortune to charity
The Rolling Stones announce biggest ever touring rock exhibition with Saatchi Gallery
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
'Dukes of Hazzard' pulled from screens by CBS as outcry over Confederate flag grows
Game of Thrones season 6: Release date, plots and dragons - everything we know so far
Glastonbury 2015: The Who mock Kanye West - 'who's the biggest rock star in the world?'
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS