The view from the bottom of the ladder
Hollywood appears to be continuing its recent phase of twin timing, as details of two new comedies about interns have been announced this week. Paramount's The Intern will star Tina Fey as the head of an online fashion company who appoints a senior citizen as an intern, while The Internship from Fox sees Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson share the screen as two businessmen forced into the world of unpaid work after becoming unemployed.
Having completed my fair share of internships I find it somewhat surprising that nobody has called on me to consult for either project, but in the spirit of giving freely for no immediate financial reward I'll happily share some pointers with the scriptwriters:
* The word "no" should be stricken from the script – with obsequious synonyms for "yes" flowing instead.
* Tears should flow too (but only in the privacy of a loo cubicle) when spoken to like a simpleton for the millionth time.
* Names are only for valued employees, and being addressed by superiors as you, she, he etc will suffice.
* The make-up team should add dark circles and a look of general exhaustion as interns work a second job to keep themselves going.
* Alternatively a vocal coach may be called upon to provide a plummy accent for those acting the part of being bankrolled by wealthy parents.
* Offering to make tea when you have nothing to do can later be cited as "proactive and efficient at time management".
Film The critics but sneer but these unfashionable festive films are our favourites
TV We're so close to knowing what happened to Oliver Hughes, but a last-minute bluff crushes expectations
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Peter Lik: The self-proclaimed 'fine-art photographer' whose work sells for millions
The best underrated Christmas movies from Love, Actually to While You Were Sleeping
Grace Dent on TV: The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies was a beautifully shot, immensely considered drama
The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies, review: Jason Watkins is brilliant, but real victim Joanna Yeates is reduced to a footnote
Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking Lana Del Rey rape video
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant