The view from the bottom of the ladder
Hollywood appears to be continuing its recent phase of twin timing, as details of two new comedies about interns have been announced this week. Paramount's The Intern will star Tina Fey as the head of an online fashion company who appoints a senior citizen as an intern, while The Internship from Fox sees Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson share the screen as two businessmen forced into the world of unpaid work after becoming unemployed.
Having completed my fair share of internships I find it somewhat surprising that nobody has called on me to consult for either project, but in the spirit of giving freely for no immediate financial reward I'll happily share some pointers with the scriptwriters:
* The word "no" should be stricken from the script – with obsequious synonyms for "yes" flowing instead.
* Tears should flow too (but only in the privacy of a loo cubicle) when spoken to like a simpleton for the millionth time.
* Names are only for valued employees, and being addressed by superiors as you, she, he etc will suffice.
* The make-up team should add dark circles and a look of general exhaustion as interns work a second job to keep themselves going.
* Alternatively a vocal coach may be called upon to provide a plummy accent for those acting the part of being bankrolled by wealthy parents.
* Offering to make tea when you have nothing to do can later be cited as "proactive and efficient at time management".
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >