The Wolf of Wall Street tops UK box office
Martin Scorsese's latest film knocks '12 Years A Slave' off the top spot
Martin Scorsese’s film The Wolf of Wall Street has topped the UK box office in its first week of release.
The movie pushed Steve McQueen’s 12 Years A Slave off the top spot. The slavery epic, which stars Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender, took £3 million in its second week.
Hotly-tipped Oscar contender American Hustle came in third place, earning £1.5 million in its fifth week of release.
The film, which also centres on a group of fraudsters, has received 10 Oscar nominations, putting it on a par with fellow front-runner Gravity.
Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper have all earned nods for their performances in the film.
The Wolf of Wall Street received five Oscar nominations last week, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay.
DiCaprio won Best Actor for his performance in the film at the Golden Globes ceremony two weeks ago.
He has yet to win an Oscar despite being nominated three times for Blood Diamond (2006), The Aviator (2004) and What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1994). Cash strapped: Leonardo DiCaprio (centre) stars in Martin Scorsese's raucously enjoyable 'The Wolf of Wall Street'
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >