Tom Cruise: Playing heroic loner Jack Reacher was easy
Tuesday 11 December 2012
Tom Cruise said playing heroic loner Jack Reacher was "easy" because it reminded him of his own life.
The Top Gun star spent hours meeting fans at the premiere of his new film in London's Leicester Square last night.
Jack Reacher is based on One Shot - one of a series of best-selling novels by Lee Child about the eponymous former soldier turned drifter who travels the United States dealing out his own brand of justice.
Cruise said: "It was easy, it was just a great character to play.
"That's kind of my life actually, you know. Making movies I'm here in London for four months and I shoot in Pittsburgh, Baton Rouge and Italy. I spend that kind of life making movies."
Child - real name Jim Grant - said he knew Cruise was the right man for the role when he saw him carry on with work on set despite a serious hand injury.
The author, who was born in Coventry and grew up in Birmingham, said: "He's reckless like Reacher."
Cruise's co-star Rosamund Pike said she loved working with the man she described as "the greatest movie star of my lifetime".
She said: "I was on my stomach watching Top Gun aged 12, 13 and it was very exciting to work with a guy who is still on top of his game, and into the room walks the man who created all those iconic parts and he doesn't disappoint on any level."
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure