Tourist bluffs his way into Paltrow film
Sunday 20 April 2008
As a Brit on holiday in Las Vegas, Carl Kelly might be forgiven for daydreaming about a role in a blockbuster opposite Gwyneth Paltrow. However, the salesman from Knebworth, Hertfordshire, decided to make his dream a reality.
With no acting experience, the 29-year-old bluffed his way on to the set of Iron Man, the latest Marvel comic action film, while he was staying in Las Vegas last June.
He convinced security guards that he was an extra, and after seven hours' sitting in the background in a casino scene he was asked to film a short scene with Ms Paltrow.
"Some 38 takes later, I think they were getting pretty fed up with me – but that's what happens when you let an untrained nobody into your film," Mr Kelly said. By the end of the 10-hour film shoot, he had missed his flight home.
Mr Kelly's debut in Iron Man can be seen in multiplexes across the UK from May.
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
sportNapoli 2 Arsenal 0: Gunners must now face either Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona in knock-out stages
musicAs Mariah Carey and Noddy Holder rake in the royalties from their classics, why there hasn't been a decent festive hit for 20 years?
theatreAuthor Daniel Rosenthal recalls the mishaps that almost brought the curtain down on the likes of John Gielgud and Diana Rigg
lifeFull of the joys and want to help your fellow man? December isn't the time to do it
lifeAs the Royal Mail plans to phase out deliveries on two wheels, it's no wonder posties are in a spin
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >