Tributes paid to Carol Barnes
Monday 10 March 2008
Tributes were paid yesterday after the death of the former ITN newsreader Carol Barnes on Saturday.
Barnes died in hospital in Brighton after suffering a stroke a week earlier. Her son James paid an emotional tribute, saying he would be forever indebted to her.
"My mum was a beautiful, kind and delicate person – a person loved by many and whom I am desperately proud to call my mother," he said.
"She did everything in her power to love, care and provide for me, my sister and all those close to her. I am eternally indebted to her for what she has given us. I will always love her and she will forever be in my heart."
Barnes had a long relationship with the former government minister Denis MacShane. Their 24-year-old daughter Clare was killed in Australia in 2004.
Mr MacShane said: "Carol bred affection, warmth, political acuteness and humanity wherever she lived and worked."
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 4 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Calvin Harris named highest-paid DJ in the world ahead of David Guetta and Avicii
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
The funniest joke at Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Tim Vine wins for second time