Was girl in 'stag' film the young Monroe?
The protectors of Marilyn Monroe's image say a collector who wants $500,000 for a short 1940s stag film is committing fraud and violating the actress's intellectual property rights by claiming it shows her having sex when she was under age.
Mikel Barsa, a Spanish events promoter, insists the scratchy six-minute film, made around 1946 or 1947, shows the young actress, known then as Norma Jeane Baker, when she was poor and desperate to break into showbusiness.
Experts say it is highly unlikely that the woman in the film is Monroe. Comparing the film with known Monroe images leaves ample room for doubt. Mr Barsa maintains it is Monroe, and says he'll broker the sale anyway. "It's always the same story when it comes toMarilyn – to deny, deny, deny and to threaten," he said.
He guesses the film was made in the months before Monroe signed on with 20th Century Fox in 1947. Monroe "wasn't a prude", said Lois Banner, who wrote MM-Personal: From the Private Arch- ive of Marilyn Monroe. But she also considers it doubtful that financial difficulties would have put her in such a spot. Even at her poorest in 1947, Monroe had a wealthy couple helping out by providing her with $100 a week, she said. (AP)
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
musicAs Mariah Carey and Noddy Holder rake in the royalties from their classics, why there hasn't been a decent festive hit for 20 years?
theatreAuthor Daniel Rosenthal recalls the mishaps that almost brought the curtain down on the likes of John Gielgud and Diana Rigg
lifeFull of the joys and want to help your fellow man? December isn't the time to do it
lifeAs the Royal Mail plans to phase out deliveries on two wheels, it's no wonder posties are in a spin
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >