'Paranormal Activity' hits one million votes, releases nationwide--as promised
Low-budget horror movie Paranormal Activity sold out midnight showings and created a buzz as "the scariest movie of the decade." Based on one million fans' votes, "demanding" to expand the release to more theatres, Paramount will "go wide," to more cities across the US.
Critically acclaimed and a fan favorite, the story follows a young couple (newcomers Katie Featherstone and Micah Sloat), who move into a typical suburban house, but grow increasingly anxious about a haunting during the middle of the night, so they install surveillance cameras.
The film was shot with a hand-held video camera by the director Oren Peli, a native of Israel, in his Los Angeles home over one week for a total o $15,000. In just two weeks, it earned an estimated $933,080 at the box office.
The film premiered at Screamfest in 2007 and was well-received at the Slamdance Film Festival 2009, but it almost never made it to the big screen. Previously DreamWorks planned a DVD-only release and a bigger budget version, but the deal fell through and Paramount took a chance with a new ending and 10-minute edit.
The studio also used the Internet to market to the audience with Facebook and Twitter to gather interest and build momentum on the word-of-mouth, which paid off.
Arts & Ents blogs
There is a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refle...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.