13 Assassins (15)
Starring: Kôji Yakusho
Friday 06 May 2011
Takashi Miike's historical drama surely breaks records for staging the longest ever fight sequence – roughly the whole second half of the movie.
Set in rural Japan, 1844, it concerns the rise to power of psychopathic killer Lord Naritsugu, who thinks nothing of using his enemy's family for archery practice. Hired by a top Shogun to assassinate the brute, ageing warrior Shinzaemon (Kôji Yakusho) recruits a posse of fellow samurai to assist him, even though their 13-man elite must ambush a 200-strong army. Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is an obvious reference point, and Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch even more so (a wonderful set-piece involves a bridge blast, and the 13's gallant stand echoes the bunch's against the Mexican army). Miike directs the "village of death" battle with an astonishing relentlessness: just when you think you've seen the last bout of flesh-skewering, he tips another bloody bucket of slaughter into the mix.
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Mike Tindall, Jodie Kidd and co take to the slopes
Game of Thrones: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as he can keep his clothes on
Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' goes viral 35 years later
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Churchill: The Nation's Farewell, TV review: Paxman reveals truth behind crane docker tribute, but delivers a fitting honour to Winston
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures