Also showing: The Monk, Outside Bet, African Cats and Being Elmo
Sunday 29 April 2012
The Monk (101 mins, 15)
In a 16th-century Spanish monastery, a monk (Vincent Cassel) is tested by a masked mystery man. Dominik Moll's melodrama has some gorgeous, painterly imagery, but no story with this much magic, murder and general gothic juiciness should be quite so slow and ponderous.
Outside Bet (101 mins, 12A)
Back in the mid-1980s, some redundant Fleet Street printers buy a racehorse. Bob Hoskins and the rest of the cast must have been betting on a Full Monty-ish thoroughbred, but this hobbling Britcom deserves to be sent to the glue factory.
African Cats (89 mins, U)
Disney wildlife documentary boasting fabulous footage of Kenyan lions and cheetahs. But the twee editing and narration will make anyone over the age of six wish that David Attenborough had been in charge.
Being Elmo (76 mins, U)
Affectionate profile of a Sesame Street puppeteer. Worth a look if it's on BBC4.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner car crash: Driver who died in collision sued by surviving passengers for $18.5m
- 3 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 4 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
Edinburgh Fringe 2015: Monty Python-inspired Australian Sam Simmons wins comedy award with 'very silly' show
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge?'
Game of Thrones season 6: Director promises most exciting premiere yet 'starts off with a bang'
Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Online toy marathon to launch new film
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser