Also showing: The Paperboy, Maniac and Shell
Saturday 16 March 2013
The Paperboy (107 mins, 15)
Two journalists are in over their heads trying to defend a man on death row in this trashy, sweaty melodrama set in 1960s Florida. Panned at Cannes, with an A-list cast of Nicole Kidman, Zac Efron, Matthew McConaughey, John Cusack, it falls apart at the seams as it careers along. But it's great fun watching.
Maniac (89 mins, 18)
Elijah Wood is a serial killer with serious mother issues in this gory Point of View (POV) remake of the infamous 1980 horror flick. If you fancy watching someone scalp young women, then pin their bloodied hair to a mannequin, go to see this. On second thoughts, don't.
Shell (90 mins, 15)
Newcomer Chloe Pirrie shines in this touching, understated story of a repressed father/daughter relationship. They run a petrol station in the Scottish Highlands, with little company but passing trucks and deer.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >