An Autumn Afternoon, film review: Stately, slow-burning but very moving family drama
(PG) Yasujiro Ozu, 112 mins Starring: Chishu Ryu, Shima Iwashita, Keiji Sada, Mariko Okada
Yasujiro Ozu's final film, re-released in a restored version, is a stately, slow-burning but very moving family drama. Chishu Ryu plays Hirayama, an elderly widower with an adult son and daughter who still live at home.
He is both quietly selfish – he depends on the daughter and doesn't want her to have a life of her own – and very perceptive about his own foibles and those of his children.
There is a wonderfully funny sequence involving his married, hen-pecked son's ambition to own a set of golf clubs he can't afford, and much banter and gentle slapstick involving Hirayama and his cronies.
An Autumn Afternoon may seem like quintessentially Japanese subject matter but, just as in Ozu's A Tokyo Story, its themes turn out to be utterly universal.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
Lord Freud hangs on as MPs of all parties 'call for his head' over disability comments