An Episode In The Life Of An Iron Picker, film review: Grimly compelling account of a family struggling for survival
(12A) Danis Tanovic, 72 mins Starring: Senada Alimanovicf, Nazif Mujic, Sandra Mujic, Semsa Mujic
Danis Tanovic's heart-rending drama-documentary recreates the plight of an impoverished Roma family.
The mother has a miscarriage but the Bosnian health system denies her the surgery she needs.
The father, who makes his living as a scrap dealer, tries to raise funds to pay for her care and the community rallies around him.
Shot in the dead of winter, the film features real characters re-enacting their own recent experiences.
The director’s bigger points about anti-Roma prejudice and state indifference to suffering are obvious.
The film is also grimly compelling on a dramatic level as an account of a family struggling desperately for survival.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
Cassetteboy joins forces with Russell Brand for Emperor's New Clothes film
Poldark, review: Demelza’s insouciance is almost as impressive as Ross’ pecs
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
James May hints he will not continue on Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson
Louis Theroux: By Reason of Insanity, TV review: The affable Englishman routine is wearing a bit thin
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew