Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens (NC)
Friday 15 February 2008
If the tone of this documentary about the celebrated photographer is rather too reverential, that's because it was made by her younger sister Barbara.
So there are no awkward questions about the possibility that Leibowitz has sold out to (indeed, helped to create) the Vanity Fair inflation of celebrity culture – "iconic" is the bland word everyone grabs for.
But there is interest in the recollection of their peripatetic family life (their father was an air force officer who served in Vietnam) and the photographer's early relationship with film: "The camera was another member of the family."
Her 1970s photographs – of Lennon and Yoko, of Richard Nixon leaving the White House – stand almost as a rebuke to the hoopla of wind machines and wigs she favours nowadays.
Watch the 'Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens' trailer
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >