Starring: Ariane Labed, Giorgos Lanthimos, Vangelis Mourikis, Evangelia Randou
Sombre whimsy is the keynote of this minimalist Greek drama, about a young woman (Ariane Labed) struggling to come to terms with Eros and Thanatos.
Unsure of her own sexuality and resentful of her more worldly best friend (Evangelia Randou), she apes the animal behaviour seen on the nature programmes of David Attenborough – thus the approximate title – or else speculates on modern life with her ailing father (Vangelis Mourikis). "We built an industrial colony on sheep-pens," he remarks, which may be pertinent in the light of Greece's economic woes. Director Athina Rachel Tsangari makes few concessions to realism, preferring affectless dialogue and bursts of synchronised dance routines whose meaning remains obscure. Perhaps viewed under the influence of drugs or drink the film might spring to comic life, but taken straight it is far more likely to get on your nerves.
Arts & Ents blogs
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
The Photography Blog: ‘Control Order House’ by Edmund Clark – Photographing our response to terrorism
Recent events in Boston have served as a painful reminder of the threat posed by terrorism. In Contr...
I’ve not heard many bands that had quite the same kick as Pendulum did. Their unbelievable fusion of...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 'Revenge porn' is no longer a niche activity which victimises only celebrities - the law must intervene
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.