Beowulf, Retail & Rental (Warner Home Video)
Sunday 23 March 2008
Robert Zemeckis's thrilling fantasy adventure thrusts a battle axe into the notion that cartoons have to be aimed at children.
As in the old English epic poem, it's the tale of a mighty warrior (voiced by Ray Winstone) who has to rescue a Danish kingdom from a hideous monster named Grendel (Crispin Glover) and its very un-hideous mother (Angelina Jolie). It's dark, frightening, earthy and clever, thanks to a screenplay by Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary, while the motion-capture animation is used to conjure up battle scenes and monsters to rival anything in 'Lord of the Rings'.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >