By Nicholas Barber
Sunday 28 January 2007
Bobby opens with captions and news footage positing that, in 1968, America was in turmoil, and that Robert Kennedy was the best hope of putting things right. Despite that title, though, Kennedy doesn't appear except on TV screens, and the criss-crossing ensemble drama is influenced just as much by another Robert - the late Mr Altman. It all takes place in the Ambassador Hotel on the day of Kennedy's assassination.
Among the stars who play the hotel's staff and guests, there's William H Macy as the manager, Sharon Stone as the hair stylist, Anthony Hopkins as a retired doorman, Laurence Fishburne as a chef, and Demi Moore, Lindsay Lohan, Ashton Kutcher and the director's dad, Martin Sheen, in other roles. Unfortunately, they're all just mouthpieces for tub-thumping speeches. It makes you wish you were watching a biopic of Robert Kennedy instead.
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lord Sewel quits: Peer 'boasts of having sex with BBC presenter and seeing 13 mistresses'
- 2 Topshop pulls 'ridiculously skinny' mannequins after being shamed by customer on Facebook
- 3 Five-year-old boy forced classmate to simulate oral sex at primary school, claims mother
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Polish court orders bank to repay drugged man after he spends £23,400 in lap dance bar
Inside Out: Pixar makes crucial change for Japanese audiences by editing out broccoli
Watch Tom Cruise lip sync to The Weeknd (seriously)
Top Gear cleared by Ofcom over Jeremy Clarkson's use of the word 'pikey'
Game of Thrones season 6: New toy line suggests Jon Snow is not among the dead
Amazon UK launch Prime Music streaming service to rival Spotify and TIDAL
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park