Céline and Julie Go Boating (12A)
Friday 05 May 2006
Jacques Rivette's most famous film is a strange bit of fluff. Our heroines, a librarian and a stage magician, take to visiting a mysterious house in Montmartre, in which they become players in an old-fashioned melodrama, that replays day after day. The apparatus of pursuits and magical sweets make explicit reference to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; and in the way that Céline and Julie spoof the world around them, you may catch a hint of Morecambe and Wise.
Do the repetitions, non sequiturs and abrupt narrative rifts add up to anything more? David Thomson, in his Biographical Dictionary of Film, takes it to be "the most innovative film since Citizen Kane" and "the first film in which everything is invented". Gosh. I'm floundering a little, personally; but the film is intermittently delightful, and if you can spare the three-and-a-half hours, it really doesn't feel that long.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 3 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Jessie Cave interview: Harry Potter's Lavender Brown has published a collection of feminist cartoons
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives