Chico & Rita (15)
Starring: Javier Mariscal & Fernando Trueba. Voices: Mario Guerra, Limara Meneses
Friday 19 November 2010
This animated charmer is a love story for all ages. Beginning in Havana in 1948, it charts the volatile romance between nightclub singer Rita and piano player Chico as they negotiate careers beyond their native Cuba.
She becomes a star of Broadway and later Hollywood, while he tinkles the ivories for Dizzy Gillespie's band in Europe, yet fate will push them together and apart several times along the way. The fluid draughtsmanship conjures the streets and clubs of 1950s Cuba with intricate beauty, and then surpasses it on switching to New York, where legendary jazz venues such as the Village Vanguard are given their due.
The star-crossed pair become victims of their own stubbornness, and later of the old-school racism endemic to American showbiz, yet the mood for the most part is exuberant, driven along by the composer Bebo Valdés's smoky jazz score. By turns wistful, passionate, indignant and melancholy, this is an exquisitely composed piece of storytelling.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK