Corpo Celeste (U)
Starring: Yile Vianello
Alice Rohrwacher's film is a deeply strange meditation on faith and identity.
13-year-old Marta (Yile Vianello), back in her native southern Italy after years in Switzerland, is being prepared for her confirmation: at Sunday school she learns the catechism, but she sees through the authority figures – a schoolteacher, the parish priest – to the flawed individuals beneath. Immersed in this intensely Catholic atmosphere the watchful, recalcitrant girl quietly absorbs the goings-on about her, and an afternoon in an abandoned mountain village offers her a kind of epiphany about Christ and his suffering. In its mild-mannered way, it's a reply to mob movie Gomorrah, glimpsing a rarely seen side of impoverished Italy where priests rather than mafiosi rule the roost, and the people just grin and bear it.
game of thrones reviewWarning: spoilers
North London meets The Exorcist in eerie suburban drama
Filming to begin on two new series due to be aired on Dave from next year
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 Russell Brand backs Ed Miliband: 'You gotta vote Labour'
- 4 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
In defence of liberal democracy
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils