Corpo Celeste (U)
Starring: Yile Vianello
Alice Rohrwacher's film is a deeply strange meditation on faith and identity.
13-year-old Marta (Yile Vianello), back in her native southern Italy after years in Switzerland, is being prepared for her confirmation: at Sunday school she learns the catechism, but she sees through the authority figures – a schoolteacher, the parish priest – to the flawed individuals beneath. Immersed in this intensely Catholic atmosphere the watchful, recalcitrant girl quietly absorbs the goings-on about her, and an afternoon in an abandoned mountain village offers her a kind of epiphany about Christ and his suffering. In its mild-mannered way, it's a reply to mob movie Gomorrah, glimpsing a rarely seen side of impoverished Italy where priests rather than mafiosi rule the roost, and the people just grin and bear it.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >