Cross of Honour, Petter Naess, 100mins (15)
Starring: Florian Lukas, Rupert Grint
The best thing about this modest tale of camaraderie among foes is the Norwegian setting – a white wilderness of blinding storms that seems to stretch into eternity. In April 1940 two planes crash-land, and the crews – two Brits, three Germans – seek shelter in an isolated hunting lodge.
Outright hostility softens as the pilots discover a mutual respect behind the uniforms. Florian Lukas takes the acting palm over chief star Rupert Grint, who does a creditable scouse accent as the officer's wingman but shouldn't have been allowed to sing "Over the Rainbow". Petter Næss's script has an uncertain hold on period – I'm pretty sure "Enjoy!" and "Go for it" weren't current in the Second World War.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Reyhaneh Jabbari: Iran due to execute woman for murder of her alleged attempted rapist
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 5 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2: The Green Legend will be Netflix's first original movie
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >