Death at a Funeral (15)
Friday 02 November 2007
The press screening of this was like a foreglimpse of death, only with fewer laughs. It quickly became apparent that we might be watching the most ineptly written film of the year. An ensemble of familiar Brit faces (Jane Asher, Matthew Macfadyen, Kris Marshall, Peter Vaughan et al) gather for the funeral of a family patriarch, and writer Dean Craig engineers around them a mortifyingly dismal farce involving pill-popping misadventures, a blackmailing dwarf, an incontinent uncle and a funeral eulogy that's meant to mark a touching emotional finale but sounds as feeble and ill-managed as everything else.
Ewen Bremner gives a career-worst performance, while the rest of the cast merely sink under the dead weight of Frank Oz's direction. You'll wince and fidget and groan, and finally wonder at the nerve of the film-makers who thought they could get away with this.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world