December Boys (12A)
Friday 14 September 2007
Quite the most pretentious piffle I've seen all year. Daniel Radcliffe puts aside the specs and broomstick to star in this small-scale independent drama about a quartet of Catholic orphan boys holidaying in an Australian beach cove one 1960s summer.
Golden sunsets, religious epiphanies and adolescent crushes aren't enough to quicken the pedestrian pace, and the writing is weedy and banal. At the smallest hint of drama, Marc Rosenberg's script seems to drop dead in fright. As for Radcliffe, he nails the accent but not much else, his moon face blankly uncommunicative and body language little better.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Back in Black (Sabbath): On the comeback trail with Ozzy Osbourne and crew
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >