Deliver Us From Evil, film review: Silly plot but Eric Bana's performance is in deadly earnest
(15) Scott Derrickson, 118 mins Starring: Eric Bana, Olivia Munn, Edgar Ramirez
Deliver Us from Evil is an unholy mishmash of hardboiled cop thriller, Exorcist/Omen-style horror hokum and, most bizarrely, Jim Morrison-inspired psychedelia.
The redoubtable Eric Bana plays New York cop Ralph Sarchie with an intensity that rekindles memories of the Sidney Lumet films of the 1970s. The film itself may be silly in the extreme but his performance is in deadly earnest.
Sarchie, who has paranormal powers, joins forces with a laidback, hard-drinking Spanish priest, Mendoza (Edgar Ramirez), who looks like Morrison. The frequent use of Doors music on the soundtrack suggests the resemblance isn't accidental.
The director Scott Derrickson seems uncertain as to whether he is making an exploitation pic intended to give audiences a few fairground-style thrills and frights, or a William Friedkin-style meditation on the nature of evil.
Individual scenes are staged with ghoulish energy. The final-reel exorcism provides all the ectoplasm, eyeball-rolling, contorting and funny voices you could possibly hope for. A sequence in a zoo using black-and-white surveillance footage is likewise chilling.
Ostensibly based on a true story, Deliver Us from Evil would, nonetheless, surely have benefited from a little more understatement and a little less hysteria.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland