Friday 12 June 2009
If Shaun of the Dead is the gold standard of British zombie comedy, and Lesbian Vampire Killers is a tin-plated knock-off, then Doghouse must be ... Ratners.
The set-up: a bunch of mates go off for a boozy weekend in a country village, where the women have all become ravening "zombirds". How Dan Schaffer's script ever got the go-ahead is mysterious; it's not just uncouth and unfunny, it's riven with a sniggering misogyny. Women here start as nags and killjoys, then they become frenzied man-hunters wielding axes and swords. It should surprise no one to hear that Danny Dyer plays the most obnoxious of the blokes. Are berks and louts the only parts he wants to play, or the only parts he can?
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >