DVD & Blu-ray review: Blow Out (18)
Brian De Palma Blu-ray (108mins)
Friday 31 May 2013
Brian De Palma is often derided for being derivative – and Blow Out is partly inspired by Blow Up – but at his best (and this is his best) the director delivers a huge emotional punch.
John Travolta excels as a sound technician who accidentally records evidence of a sinister conspiracy (it draws heavily on the Chappaquiddick incident) involving John Lithgow's serial killer. A scatterbrained Nancy Allen also stars in this stylish and cynical but also rather heartbreaking paranoia thriller from 1981.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin