DVD & Blu-ray review: Children's Film Foundation Collection: Scary Stories (PG)
James Hill, John Krish, Andrew Bogle DVD (182mins)
Friday 20 September 2013
"Alice, I've come to warn you, don't go to Tower House," yells a maniac in a top hat at orphan Alice in the first of these creepy tales, James Hill's gothic thriller The Man From Nowhere. Thankfully, a gang of "ragamuffins" help the plucky girl out. Made between 1974 and 1985, you can't help but think these three supernatural stories influenced the likes of Doctor Who's Steven Moffat and The League of Gentleman. Evocative, sweet and well-made tales of childhood adventure.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 4 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
- < Previous
- Next >