DVD & Blu-ray review: Defiance: Series 1 (15)
Various directors DVD/Blu-ray (540mins)
Friday 12 July 2013
Defiance, like Joss Whedon's far superior Serenity, is effectively a Western set in the future. Earth's a mess after a catastrophic war with the Votans, an alien race seeking a new home.
However, now a ceasefire exists and everyone's trying to get along in the frontier town of Defiance, run by Julie Benz's mayor and protected by a Gerard Butler look-alike (Grant Bowler). The script is clunky, riddled with exposition, and the characters lack nuance, but this is watchable, undemanding hokum.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take title from Conchita Wurst
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland