DVD & Blu-ray review: Hysteria (15)
Friday 18 January 2013
The spirit of Carry On pervades this limp sex comedy, which centres on the invention of the vibrator in Victorian London.
Hugh Dancy plays sincere Dr Granville who joins a private practice, run by stern Dr Dalrymple (Jonathan Pryce), which specialises in the treatment of "female hysteria". This involves inducing "paroxysmal convulsions" in the patients. Granville proves very successful at his new skill until he develops hand cramps, so his inventor pal (Rupert Everett) steps in with a handy (sorry) new device. Ooh, er missus...
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Shia LaBeouf's Nymphomaniac sex scene removed from YouTube
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government