DVD & Blu-ray review: The Girl (12) Julian Jarrold (90mins)
Saturday 05 January 2013
"You look like the back end of a bus," growls Alfred Hitchcock (Toby Jones) to his long-suffering PA (Penelope Wilton) in this compelling portrait of the director's sadistic relationship with his leading lady, Tippi Hedren (Sienna Miller), on The Birds and Marnie.
Hitch "discovers" the unknown fashion model and duly flatters, grooms, gropes and persecutes Hedren until she finally escapes his penetrative gaze. Miller is very winning as the steely blonde, but it's Jones who is outstanding, fully embodying Britain's finest auteur.
There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turningTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 3 What are your fingerprint words?
- 4 Gary Lineker involved in Twitter row after presenter rubbishes claims he will be warned by BBC over foul-mouthed tweets
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Labour Party conference: Ed Balls to set out plan to freeze child benefit to balance books