DVD & Blu-ray review: The Kings of Summer
DVD & Blu-ray, Optimum
It’s a coming-of-age movie, though not quite as we know it. Best friends Joe (Nick Robinson) and Patrick (Gabriel Basso) are 15 years old and fed up with their parents. Patrick’s are invasively friendly, while Joe’s widowed father has withdrawn into sarcastic gruffness.
On discovery of a clearing deep in the woods, Joe decides on a Thoreau-like experiment: they will abscond from home and build a ramshackle house for the summer. The film’s tone seesaws between the confusion of adolescence and the quirkiness of an American indie debut, the latter incarnated in the Puckish figure of Biaggio (Moisés Arias), the boys’ diminutive fixer, while the former is represented by Kelly (Erin Moriarty), the dream blonde admired by both. The domestic idyll begins to flake in the heat.
And if the film doesn’t quite manage to dovetail the different elements, there’s tender characterisation, good performances and fabulous deadpan humour from Joe’s dad.
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Comedy...to show her mastectomy scars
TVNetflix gets cryptic
TV review A moving film showing kids too busy to enjoy their youth
Books Not even a Man Booker prize could save Richard Flanagan from a nomination
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services