DVD & Blu-ray review: The Sessions (15)
Ben Lewin (95mins)
Friday 24 May 2013
"I'm always in somebody's way," laments Mark O'Brien, a California-based poet and journalist who contracted polio as a child and was confined to an iron lung for the rest of his life.
He's terrified, aged 38, of dying a virgin, so contacts a kind sex surrogate, Cheryl (Helen Hunt). John Hawkes (with Hunt) is thoroughly convincing as the witty, romantic O'Brien in Ben Lewin's honest, deeply compassionate and not in the least bit prudish true story.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
- 2 Irish people are travelling home from all over the world so they can vote to legalise gay marriage
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Witch doctor arrested after forcing newborn baby to walk in Indian village
'We didn't really think we'd get away with it': The astonishing story of how two young Irish men completed an audacious £7m art heist
Game of Thrones rape scene criticised as 'disgusting' by US senator Claire McCaskill who says she's 'done' with show
Beyonce angers fans by pouring expensive champagne into hot tub in Nicki Minaj 'Feeling Myself' video
Eurovision: The worst lyrics in the contest's history from 'your bum is part of you' to 'stay cool in the swimming pool'
Clarkson, Hammond and May Live: Top Gear trio return in – 5 things we learned
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland