DVD & Blu-ray review: The Sweeney (15)
Friday 18 January 2013
Forget the excellent John Thaw series. In Nick Love's joyless take on Flying Squad hard-nuts Ray Winstone and Plan B play Regan and Carter, boozing, corrupt coppers who are being investigated by internal affairs (Steven Mackintosh) for their diabolical tactics: "There's even talk of baseball bats".
The soundtrack is overblown, the menace frankly ridiculous (particularly a dreadful Winstone; Plan B acquits himself better) and it wastes the likes of Hayley Atwell and Damian Lewis too. Deeply unpleasant.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland