DVD & Blu-ray review: The Wolverine (E)
James Mangold, DVD (126 mins)
Sunday 17 November 2013
“It is madness,” yells a confused kidnapper, and Wolverine is, but it's much more fun and much less po-faced than 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
Logan has gone feral, he’s living in a Yukon cave with his demons and a grizzly bear for company. His alienation is disrupted by Rilu Fukushima’s sword-wielding Yukio, who asks him to come to Tokyo to see her dying employer, Yashida. In 1945, Logan saved Yashida from being incinerated in Nagasaki (this is the deftly handled opening scene of this good-looking actioner) and the elderly Japanese industrialist wants to allegedly thank the clawed mutant.
Once in Japan, the Wolverine is faced with the Yakuza, ninjas, a mutant with a poisonous tongue (Svetlana Khodchenkova), his waning powers (obligatory for any modern-day superhero movie) and, well, chaos. Hugh Jackman is impressive in the main role, delivering his sparse lines with commitment and wit, and Fukushima is a compelling action star.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
James Blunt finally admits the truth: 'You're Beautiful' is annoying
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Batman v Superman: Side-kick Robin to be 'woman played by Jena Malone'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world