DVD & Blu-ray: Outnumbered: Series 2 (12), Various directors (210 mins)
Friday 13 November 2009
This sitcom is a surprise gem. The set-up of mildly stressed out middle-class parents and their three exasperating children is well-worn territory and there are few driving dramatic incidents. Yet therein lies
Outnumbered's charm – it takes very ordinary slice-of-life situations and renders them believable and very funny. Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin's script is well-observed, but the key to the show's success is the kids. Allowed to improvise, Daniel Roche, as anarchic monkey Ben, and scene-stealing Ramona Marquez, who plays Karen, come out with some brilliant unscripted lines that prompt snorts of laughter. It sometimes gets too realistic, so the children's shouting may have you reaching for the volume control.
There’s revolution in the air, but one lady’s not for turningTV
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God