DVD: Bandslam (PG)
Friday 11 December 2009
Will (Gaelan Connell), a gawky, David Bowie-fixated teen, hates Cincinnati, where he's picked on, but fortunately his sweet mum (Lisa Kudrow) moves them to New Jersey, where, even more fortunately, he hooks up with two pretty girls (Alyson Michalka and Vanessa Hudgens) who compete for his attention.
It's cornier than Kansas but Connell has a winning charm and Todd Graff's script is nicely tangy – "School today was like Guantanamo with a lunch period". Like numerous teen films – Footloose, Napoleon Dynamite, Bill and Ted – Will makes his mark through music, managing a band – I Can't Go On, I'll Go On. The soundtrack's good, the sentiments are sweet and it's more than a bit like Some Kind of Wonderful – which is a good thing.
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'