DVD: Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff (PG)
Friday 23 July 2010
"She's dead, she's dead, he's dead... I'm just alive," jokes Jack Cardiff at the start of this affectionate homage, featuring Martin Scorsese, Lauren Bacall and Kirk Douglas, to this fiercely talented and inventive cinematographer.
Cardiff, who died last year, aged 94, worked on A Matter of Life and Death, The Red Shoes and The Vikings, and apart from the lovely clips, the joys here are in the anecdotes: director Henry Hathaway's bullying, Errol Flynn's voracious drinking, Bogie and Huston not being sick, like the rest of the crew on The African Queen, because they didn't drink the water. They stuck to the whisky.
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Arts & Ents blogs
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson pictured in first scenes
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Exercise most effective lifestyle choice for preventing dementia, researchers say
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >