DVD: Chalet Girl (12)
Friday 30 September 2011
Felicity Jones's bright teen, Kim, is working in a fast-food joint and living with her useless (he can't work the microwave) dad (Bill Bailey).
Her mum's gone – car crash. So far, so Pretty in Pink. But, this being a flimsy, fluffy fantasy film, Kim soon gets a chance to be a chalet girl in an exclusive skiing resort in the Alps; tending to Bill Nighy's gormless, snotty family. At first she's condescended to, her fellow chalet girl (Tamsin Egerton) calls her "little Miss Essex" and her boss (Nighy, on auto-pilot) keeps on forgetting her name. However, she quickly proves a dab hand at snowboarding and snags Ed Westwick's pretty posh boy. Corny, but Jones provides a lot of charm.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
Metallica play Antarctica: What other bizarre gigs have musicians played?
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >