DVD: Conan the Barbarian (15)
Friday 16 December 2011
This "update" of Robert E Howard's Cimarron has loads of fighting, flexed pecs and twirling swords, but little lamentation of the women, virtually zero mythology and no Arnold Schwarzenegger.
In John Milius's 1982 film, Ahnuld was delightfully stupid-but-tough as the future-king; in Texas Chainsaw remaker Marcus Nispel's videogame blur, Jason Momoa (Game of Thrones) glowers nicely but has a touch of Zoolander about him. The plot is beyond simple: Conan wants revenge on pompous Stephen Lang for killing his dad. There's black magic (sorceress Rose McGowan) amid the CGI scenery, but the constant bloodletting is draining.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
- 5 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Sia apologises for 'Elastic Heart' music video that sees Shia LaBeouf wrestle 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia