DVD: Four Lions (15)
Friday 27 August 2010
Chris Morris, probably England's greatest satirist since Jonathan Swift, tackles modern jihadism.
And it's both bold and awfully disappointing. Riz Ahmed plays a security guard who refers to himself as a "proper soldier" for Al-Qai'da. However, his cell includes two gormless would-be terrorists, and the deranged Barry ("We've got women talking back... It's the end of days"). After a catastrophic jaunt to a training camp in Pakistan, these hapless suicide bombers return to England intent on destruction: they bicker over whether it should be a mosque (to radicalise ordinary Muslims) or a Boots chemist. They plump for the London Marathon. Very depressing. which is – no doubt – the point.
TV Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
Jeff Fletcher found fame in 1990s
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sarah Vine criticises lesbian mother Jack Monroe: 'If she was unsure about her sexuality, she should have taken greater precautions'
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 5 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
Black Mirror Christmas special: Jon Hamm episode will see people 'blocked' in real life, not just on Facebook
Zoella: YouTube sensation Zoe Sugg's debut novel set to become overnight bestseller
True Detective series 2: Rachel McAdams cast in female lead as 'no-nonsense' detective
Nightclubbing with Richard Young: The story behind his latest book of celebrity photographs
Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services