DVD: Gran Torino (15)
Friday 03 July 2009
Clint Eastwood is one of the few figures in Hollywood able to play with his own iconography.
With Unforgiven, his anti-Western, he demolished the myth of the man with no name. In Gran Torino, his anti-vigilante movie, he takes down Dirty Harry. Overlooked at the Oscars, Eastwood's last film as an actor (so he says) is one of his finest recent works. He plays Walt Kowalski, a grouchy racist widower who unexpectedly befriends a Hmong Korean family in his Detroit neighbourhood after finding their son Thao trying to steal his car, the titular Gran Torino. When he learns that Thao is being victimised by a local gang, he decides to take matters into his own hands.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture