DVD: He's Just Not That Into You (12)
Friday 12 June 2009
The best of a bad bunch of chick flicks this year.
Make no mistake, HJNTIY is still a feminist's nightmare featuring a quartet of men-obsessed women – a control freak (Jennifer Connelly), a scarlet woman (Scarlett Johansson), a serially unlucky dater (a sweet break-out turn from Ginnifer Goodwin) and a commitment harpy (Jennifer Aniston). Based on a dating manual, itself based on a throwaway line from Sex and the City, it's a stretch at over two hours but there's wit here. With such a heavyweight cast and Ben Affleck and Drew Barrymore supporting, though, it should be better. As it is, it's just about good enough for an unchallenging night in.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God